Sunday, September 5, 2010

Where to begin

Perhaps not optimally, I am starting to write about this adventure starting in the middle. At some point, I will go into what kind of receiver, speakers, computer, software, etc.. that I am using. But not now.

Right NOW I am focused on getting a functional rip of my "Star Wars IV - A New Hope" DVD! This has been a massive pain in the ass.

Now I've ripped Blu-Rays, and DVD's with subtitles before. I figured I had the basics of how to get everything working down. But this one has been nothing but trouble.

I guess it would be helpful if I listed the software I normally use.
  • WinX DVD Ripper Platinum - This is great piece of software for ripping -most- DVD's without subtitles. I use it to rip DVD's into WMV files since I am only intending to use it on my Media Center. It will preserve the 5.1 audio, and that is important. Unfortunatly, if subtitles are involved, it screws it up by placing them in a position for a non-HD 4:3 perspective screen, and so too low on my TV.
  • RipBot264 - And all its associated supporting software. Excellent software for ripping Blu-Rays! Mediocre software for ripping DVD's, BUT I can use it to get the burned in subtitles if I absolutely have to. The best part is it is free.
  • AnyDVD HD - I have a lifetime subscription to this software, and it is absolutly worth the money. This is the software that lets me get through all the encryption and copy protection on the Blu-Rays and DVD's. Absolutly worth the money, and these guys deserve to be paid for this quality software.
  • DVD Decrypter - The newest tool in my arsenal. And may just be my saving grace with this Star Wars problem. It seems it will let me filter out the extra 'angles' the DVD uses.
Anyway, I'll do another post soon with regards to my adventures with this DVD to date, and if my latest effort worked.

No comments:

Post a Comment