Monday, September 6, 2010

Victory over Star Wars IV! ... mostly

I'm going to declare victory, although I'm still not as happy as I could be.

That said, I managed to backup a copy of Star Wars IV into a AVC-HD, with burned in 'forced' english subtitles.

The good news is that it plays right through my Windows Media Center and my Media Center extender (XBox 360). It even plays right through a program called Media Player Classic (highly reccomended player, btw). I get my 5.1 sounds, and everything is great! Since this is why I am burning my movies into my harddrive, this is more than good enough.

But...

The bad news is that when I play it through Windows Media Player, the sound is not there. It just plays this static/noise.  Its very odd, I've never had that result burning from RipBot264 before. The audio demuxed eventually to a AC3 at 440 htz, but compressing it or copying it resulted in the same problem. The only noticably different thing in the mix here is I used DVD Converter to get a copy without the superfluous other 'angles'. I'm going to chalk it up to a codec problem unless someone tells me otherwise.

On a related note, I've added another software tool into my kit. SubRip. It is good for getting the subtitles off DVD's.

Oh well, its still perfectly suitable for my uses, so I'm moving on. Finally! I'll post a complete set of instructions and what I did to achieve this on an 'Example' page.

No comments:

Post a Comment